Monday, August 25, 2008

The Pride of India

What is "Pride" and can a country with so much depth, history, culture, beauty and world treasures point to one thing that depicts their pride? "The Pride of India"? Let's explore this a bit more. Google says pride is:

  • A feeling of self-respect and personal worth
  • Satisfaction with your (or another's) achievements

This past weekend I had a chance to rekindle my love affair with India by attending the "Festival of India" event in my local community. This was the second year the event was held and with a growing Indian population; I pray the event grows as such and also in popularity and attendance within the community. The part that I attended was inside thank God, due to the heat and humidity outside. There were several Indian states represented there and I had the pleasure of being a secret judge; oops did I let the cat out of the bag ;)

The festival was the closest experience I've had to being in India since I returned and it took me back to the many conversations I had with the people while in the many cities I visited. It was amazing!!! The Indian people have a way about them that always makes me feel like I am the most important person on the planet in the course of our conversation about their country; celebrity like status.

It was awesome and I am always so humbled, energized and overjoyed after being in their presence. The colors and pageantry is very breath-taking and I am always in awe of the many designs, colors and the magic that happens when the Women of India dawn those Sari's. Taking nothing away from the women but the Men of India are so rich in the history and culture and are very excited to share it with you. They are men of such strength and character and they always leave me wishing I had more time to immerse myself in all things India.

I will admit that I was taken-back to learn about the different countries of the world that have taken claim over various parts of India through their history. Although I was not there nor do I believe I am descended from any of those countries I feel unsettled by any culture that is "interrupted" by the claims of others. Yet through it all, the people of India have remained strong, remained hopeful, and remained prideful of their people, their accomplishments, their rich history, the culture and the possibilities that India has to offer to the world.

What is Pride? Self respect and personal worth? I submit to you today that the "Pride of India" does not rest in tall structures, their world wonders, many temples, natural resources, growing IT presence but the "Pride of India" rest with the people. It is from there that they will nurture, preserve and continue to deepen their culture thus enriching this Big Blue Ball we call Earth.

Pictures coming soon.....

No comments: